- HF radar oceanography
- Ocean surface waves
- Signal Processing
- 2011 to 2014 - Director, ACORN, James Cook University (School of Earth and Environmental Sciences)
- 1999 to 2011 - Professor, University of Sheffield (UK)
- 1997 to 1999 - Reader, University of Sheffield (UK)
- 1995 to 1997 - Senior Lecturer, University of Sheffield (UK)
- 1987 to 1995 - Lecturer, University of Sheffield (UK)
- 1981 to 1987 - Research Fellow, University of Birmingham (UK)
- 1979 to 1980 - Research Fellow, University of Reading (UK)
- 1976 to 1978 - Research Fellow, The Johns Hopkins University (USA)
- 1973 to 1976 - PhD student, University of Southampton (UK)
- 1972 to 1973 - MSc student, University of Bristol (UK)
- 1969 to 1972 - BSc Student, University of Manchester (UK)
After an undergraduate degree in Mathematics, a Masters in Fluid Mechanics and a PhD in Physical Oceanography on 'Mixing and Stratifying Processes in the Oceanic Mixed Layer and Seasonal Thermocline', all in the UK, Prof Lucy Wyatt worked as a PostDoc in the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, USA investigating mixing across density interfaces.
After two years she moved back to the UK and worked on baroclinic instability in the Reading Department of Meteorology atmospheric modelling group, before moving to the Radar Group in the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering as part of a team developing oceanographic HF radar systems. This has been the subject of her research ever since and she now calls herself a Radio Oceanographer.
Prof Wyatt eventually took up a more permanent academic position at the University of Sheffield in the School of Mathematics and Statistics and she is currently on three years leave of absence. At Sheffield she have been involved with the development of new methods to extract wave and wind information from these radar systems and in a number of national and international experiments to validate these measurements.
The Australian Coastal Ocean Radar Network (ACORN) is a facility of the Integrated Marine Observing System (IMOS) funded by the Federal Government.
These are the most recent publications associated with this author. To see a detailed profile of all publications stored at JCU, visit ResearchOnline@JCU. Hover over Altmetrics badges to see social impact.
- Journal Articles
- Fujii S, Heron ML, Kim K, Lai J, Lee S, Wu X, Wu X, Wyatt L and Yang W (2013) An overview of developments and applications of oceanographic radar networks in Asia and Oceania countries. Ocean Science Journal, 48 (1). pp. 69-97
- Waters J, Wyatt L, Wolf J, Hines A and (2013) Data assimilation of partitioned HF radar wave data into Wavewatch III. Ocean Modelling, 72. pp. 17-31
- Wyatt L, Jaffres JBD and Heron ML (2013) Spatial averaging of HF radar data for wave measurement applications. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 30 (9). pp. 2216-2224
- Robinson AM, Wyatt L and Howarth MJ (2011) A two year comparison between HF radar and ADCP current measurements in Liverpool Bay. Journal Of Operational Oceanography, 4 (1). pp. 33-45
- Wang W and Wyatt L (2011) Radio frequency interference cancellation for sea-state remote sensing by high-frequency radar. IET Radar, Sonar and Navigation, 5 (4). pp. 405-415
- Wyatt L, Green JJim and Middleditch A (2011) HF radar data quality requirements for wave measurement. Coastal engineering, 58 (4). pp. 327-336
- Wyatt L, Green JJim and Middleditch A (2009) Signal sampling impacts on HF radar wave measurement. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 26 (4). pp. 793-805
- Conference Papers
- Atwater DP, Mantovanelli A, Prytz A, Rehder S and Wyatt L (2013) Operational requirements for oceanographic ground-wave HF radars: experiences from the Australian Coastal Ocean Radar Network. Proceedings of the International Conference on Radar. 9-12 September 2013, Adelaide, SA, Australia
- Wyatt L, Atwater DP, Prytz A and Rehder S (2013) A comparison between SeaSonde and WERA HF radar current measurements. Proceedings of Oceans 2013 MTS/IEEE Bergen. 10-13 June 2013, Bergen, Norway
- Heron ML, Wyatt L, Atwater DP and Prytz A (2012) The Australian coastal ocean radar network: lessons learned in the establishment phase. OCEANS, 2012 - YEOSU. 21-24 May 2012, Yeosu, Korea (South)
- Wyatt L (2012) Use of HF radar for marine renewable applications. OCEANS, 2012 - YEOSU. 21-24 May 2012, Yeosu, Korea (South)
- Wyatt L and Green JJim (2009) Measuring high and low waves with HF radar. OCEANS 2009 - Europe. In: Oceans 2009 - Europe Conference, 11-14 May 2009, Bremen, Germany
ResearchOnline@JCU stores a total of 15 research outputs authored by Prof Lucy Wyatt from 2008 onwards.
- Current Funding
Current and recent Research Funding is shown by funding source and project.
Department of Industry - Education Investment Fund
Integrated Marine Observing System - Australian Coastal Ocean Radar Network
- Indicative Funding
- $2,488,177 over 4 years (administered by UTAS)
- Maintain and operate 6 radar sites. Provide near real-time, raw and delayed mode data to eMII to enable eMII to deliver radar data and products to the Nodes.
- Lucy Wyatt, with the help of Arnstein Prytz, Daniel Atwater and Mal Heron (College of Marine & Environmental Sciences)
- HF Radar; Oceanography; coastal monitoring; IMOS
These Higher Degree Research projects are either current or by students who have completed their studies within the past 5 years at JCU. Linked titles show theses available within ResearchOnline@JCU.
- Looking inside and outside DeaSonde data (PhD, Primary Advisor)
The map shows research collaborations by institution from the past 7 years.
Note: Map points are indicative of the countries or states that institutions are associated with.
- 5+ collaborations
- 4 collaborations
- 3 collaborations
- 2 collaborations
- 1 collaboration
- Indicates the Tropics (Torrid Zone)