- 2004 to 2013 - Senior Lecturer, James Cook University (Townsville)
- 1996 to 2003 - Lecturer, James Cook University (Townsville)
I have extensive experience in applied process modelling and control. In raw sugar manufacture I investigated model-based process monitoring and control of a 120 tonne fed-batch vacuum pan and undertook studies of solids transport in full- and pilot-scale counter-current rotary dryers. I have applied my modelling expertise to solids residence time studies in cobalt powder dryers and have carried out process control audits for the Australian coal industry.
My current research focuses on the development of processes that will enable phosphorus recovery from waste streams. Unlike nitrogen, phosphorus does not cycle in nature and must be mined from limited ore deposits. It is anticipated that phosphorus production will peak in the near future, which will ultimately undermine global food security. It is therefore necessary to develop more sustainable practices in relation to phosphorus use/reuse.
My research focuses on the mechanisms that control the precipitation and agglomeration of magnesium ammonium phosphate, by combining process modelling and simulation with experimental validation. A pilot-scale nutrient recovery plant based on source-separated urine as the feed stream is on the near horizon.
These are the most recent publications associated with this author. To see a detailed profile of all publications stored at JCU, visit ResearchOnline@JCU. Hover over Altmetrics badges to see social impact.
- Journal Articles
- Schneider PA, Wallace JS and Tickle JC (2013) Modelling and dynamic simulation of struvite precipitation from source-separated urine. Water Science and Technology, 67 (12). pp. 2724-2732
- Sheehan ME, Schneider PA and Desha C (2012) Implementing a systematic process for rapidly embedding sustainability within chemical engineering education: a case study of James Cook University, Australia. Chemistry Education Research and Practice, 13 (2). pp. 112-119
- Tiranuntakul M, Schneider PA and Jegatheesan V (2011) Assessments of critical flux in a pilot-scale membrane bioreactor. Bioresource Technology, 102 (9). pp. 5370-5374
- Promraksa A, Flood AE and Schneider PA (2009) Measurement and analysis of the dextran partition coefficient in sucrose crystallization. Journal of Crystal Growth, 311 (14). pp. 3667-3673
- Ali MI and Schneider PA (2008) An approach of estimating struvite growth kinetic incorporating thermodynamic and solution chemistry, kinetic and process description. Chemical Engineering Science, 63 (13). pp. 3514-3525
- Vigh SN, Sheehan ME and Schneider PA (2008) Isothermal drying of non-nucleated sugar syrup films. Journal of Food Engineering, 88 (4). pp. 450-455
- Ali MI and Schneider PA (2006) A fed-batch design approach of struvite system in controlled supersaturation. Chemical Engineering Science, 61 (12). pp. 3951-3961
- Conference Papers
- Sheehan ME, Desha C, Schneider PA and Turner MP (2012) Embedding sustainability into chemical engineering education: content development and competency mapping. Chemeca 2012. In: Quality of Life Through Chemical Engineering, 23-26 September 2012, The Museum of New Zeland, Te Papa Tongarewa, Wellington, New Zealand
- Galbraith SC and Schneider PA (2010) Dynamic simulation of a struvite MSMPR crystalliser with crystal nucleation, growth and aggregation. Proceedings of Chemeca 2010. In: Chemeca 2010 40th Annual Australasian Chemical and Process Engineering Conference, 26-29 September 2010, Adelaide, SA, Australia
- Galbraith SC and Schneider PA (2009) A review of struvite nucleation studies. Proceedings of the 2009 International Conference on Nutrient Recovery from Wastewater Streams. 10-13 May, 2009, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Schneider PA and Ali MI (2009) The application of process systems engineering to the development of struvite recovery systems. Proceedings of the 2009 International Conference on Nutrient Recovery from Wastewater Streams. 10-13 May, 2009, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Lee A, Britton PF, Schneider PA and Sheehan ME (2007) Design and commissioning of a flight unloading device. Proceedings of the 35th Australasian Chemical Enginering Conferrence 2007. In: CHEMECA 2007: academia and industry - strengthening the profession, 23-26 September 2007, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
ResearchOnline@JCU stores a total of 29 research outputs authored by Dr Phil Schneider from 2003 onwards.
- Current Funding
Current and recent Research Funding is shown by funding source and project.
Smart Water Fund - Research Project
Microwave Assisted Pyrolysis of Biosolids
- Indicative Funding
- $133,000 over 4 years (administered by University of Melbourne)
- This project will be a scoping study of the application of microwave energy for pyrolytic decomposition and chemical and nutrient recovery from biosolids and food processing waste streams. By using the collaborative expertise and facilities of a number of research institutions, the following objectives are embodied in this project: 1) Perform a detailed investigation of the existing knowledge in this area of study and thus formulate techniques to bridge the knowledge gap; 2) Perform microwave assisted characterization of biosolid materials; 3) Design and fabrication of a 3 kW microwave assisted pyrolysis system; 4) Perform a chemical and nutritional content study of the pyrolytic products; 5) Compare the operational economics and products of microwave-assisted pyrolysis with those of conventional high temperature pyrolytic processes.
- Graham Brodie, Mohan Jacob, Phil Schneider, Christina Apnte, Allan Willliamson and Trevor Bird (The University of Melbourne, College of Science, Technology & Engineering, University of Auckland and Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation)
- Microwave Pyrolysis; Nutrient Recovery; Biosolids
Advisory Accreditation: I can be on your Advisory Panel as a Primary or Secondary Advisor.
These Higher Degree Research projects are either current or by students who have completed their studies within the past 5 years at JCU. Linked titles show theses available within ResearchOnline@JCU.
- Hydroxyapatite Crystallisation Obtained by Fed-Batch Pilot Scale Reactor from Wastewater to be Used as Fertiliser. (PhD, Primary Advisor)
- Assessing the Recovery Potential of Nutrients from Human Urine by an Electrolytic Process. (PhD, Primary Advisor)
- Investigations of Struvite Dissolution Kinetics. (PhD, Primary Advisor)
- Design and Implementation of Flighted Rotary Drying Technology in Macro-algae Production Facilities (PhD, Co-Advisor)
- Biosolid value adding through microwave pyrolysis (Masters, Primary Advisor)
- A Study of Struvite Nucleation, Crystal Growth and Aggregation. (2012, PhD, Primary Advisor)
- Multiscale modelling of industrial flighted rotary dryers (2012, PhD, Co-Advisor)
- Evaluation of fouling in a pilot scale membrane bioreactor (2011, PhD, Primary Advisor)
The map shows research collaborations by institution from the past 7 years.
Note: Map points are indicative of the countries or states that institutions are associated with.
- 5+ collaborations
- 4 collaborations
- 3 collaborations
- 2 collaborations
- 1 collaboration
- Indicates the Tropics (Torrid Zone)