Student research placements in professional degrees are an opportunity to support the current Government agenda of engagement and impact and fill the scarcity of placements. A systematic literature review was undertaken in order to explore the viability of, challenges of and insights about research placements. Peer-review English language literature published between 2008 and 2017 were included in the research. Findings highlight beneficial learning outcomes for students however little is known about how student research placements contribute to outcomes for organisations, supervisors and academics or the impact of the research. The discussion highlights the need to report on the Systematic of research placements to inform future practice. Moreover, it is important to establish student research placements systematically to ensure the viability of them.
This dataset consists of 8 files (PDF format) that support the systematic literature review as follows:
- APPENDIX A - Full text screening tool
- Appendix B Characteristics of studies. Variables include: author, year and country of origin; discipline, student level of education; industry partners in research collaboration; placement (duration, description, research activities); challenges of research placements; outcomes of research placement to students, organisation, university; research project completed or not, outcomes of research project
- Appendix C Characteristics of research placements. Variables include: 1st author; student level of education; industry partners in the research collaboration; placement description (duration, description, research activities); challenges of research placements; enablers of research placements; outcomes of research placement to students, organisations, university; research projet completed or not, outcomes of research project
- APPENDIX D Critical Appraisal Skills Programme (CASP) - 10 questions and hints to help complete e.g. Q1 Was there a clear statement of the aims of the research?
- Figure 1 PRISMA Flowchart- shows identification, screening, eligibility and included
- Search record document - includes details for Scopus, Informit, ERIC, Web of Science, Google Scholar, Cochrane, Academic OneFile, PROSPERO, CINAHL, Medline (OVID) searches
- Full text screen reference table 5 Oct all combined - includes full text screening tool (also in Appendix A), joint screening table and reference list
- Research PODs_Protocol systematic literature reviews 27 8 2018_ final - review protocol