- DS1001: Introduction to Dental Science 1 (Level 1; CNS)
- DS2001: Biological Sciences for Dentistry 1 (Growth, Development and Microbiology) (Level 2; CNS)
- DS2005: Pathophysiology and Therapeutics for Dentistry (Level 2; CNS)
- DS3101: Introduction to Clinical Dentistry (Level 3; CNS)
- DS3102: Clinical Dentistry 1 (Level 3; CNS)
- DS4101: Clinical Dentistry 2 (Level 4; CNS)
- DS4102: Clinical Dentistry 3 (Level 4; CNS)
- DS5101: Clinical Practice 1 (Comprehensive Oral Care) (Level 5; CNS)
- DS5102: Clinical Practice 2 (Comprehensive Oral Care) (Level 5; CNS)
- Patient Care: All aspects of Oral and Perioral diseases managed by medical measures.
- Oral cancer prevention and early detection, Oral Health Related Quality of Life, Oro-facial pain, Temporomandibular Disorders, Oral Mucositis, Oral Complications of Cancer therapy
- Oral Medicine: Oral Mucosal Disease, Oral Precancer and Cancer, Oro-facial Pain, Temporomandibular Disorders, Oral Manifestations of Systemic Disease
- 2016 - Committee member, RACDS (Queensland) (Brisbane, Austrralia)
- 2015 to 2016 - Councillor, IADR Section Far North Queensland (Cainrns, Australia)
- 2012 to 2016 - Senior Lecturer in Oral Medicine, James Cook University (Australia)
- 2011 to 2016 - Adjunct Senior Research Felllow, Griffith University (Australia)
- 2005 to 2016 - Member, Mucositis Guidelines Update Group, MASCC/ISOO (USA)
- 2010 to 2011 - Commonwealth Research Fellow, King's College (London, UK)
- 2008 to 2011 - Professor in Oral Medicine, University of Peradeniya (Sri Lanka)
- 2008 to 2009 - Visiting Scholar, School of Dentistry, New York Univeristy (USA)
- 2000 to 2008 - Senior Lecturer in Oral Medicine, University of Peradeniya (Sri Lanka)
- 2002 to 2003 - Training Fellow, Aichi Gakuin University (Nagoya, Japan)
- 1994 to 2000 - Lecturer in Oral Medicine, University of Peradeniya (Sri Lanka)
Anura Ariyawardana joined the School of Dentistry, James Cook Univeristy, Australia as its pioneering lecturer in Oral Medicine in 2012. He leads the discipline of Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology at the school in all spheres of Oral Medicine which includes teaching, research and patient care. He developed the teaching structure for Oral Medicine with vertically iontegrated approach from first year to fifth year of the BDS course. Anura laso has pioneered to develop the Oral Medicine Specialty clinic which enormously beneficial for undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and learning and also for the general public in the Far North Queensland at large.
Anura has over two decades of teaching, research and clinical experience. His career started in 1994 as a lecturer in Oral Medicine at the Facultuy of Dental Sciences, University of Peradeniya, sri Lanka where he has served as a specialist in Oral Medicine and in various capacities as Senior Lecturer and Professor in Oral Medicine.
He had clinical, teaching and research experience in several countries including Sri Lanka, USA, JApan, UK and Australia. He also currently holds Adjunct Senior Research Fellow position at the Menzies Health Institute of Queensland, Gold Coast Campus, Gold Coast, Australia.
He has published widely with over 100 papers in international well reputed journals. He also has lectured widely in international and national forums.
- 2014 - Presidential Award for excellence in research 2014 (Sri Lanka)
- 2010 - Presidential Award for excellence in research 2010 (Sri Lanka)
- 2002 - Japan International Cooperation Agency Scholarship
- 2010 to 2011 - Commonwealth Senior Academic Fellow, United Kingdom
- 2012 - Member of the Royal Australasian College of Dentistry (Oral Medicine)
These are the most recent publications associated with this author. To see a detailed profile of all publications stored at JCU, visit ResearchOnline@JCU. Hover over Altmetrics badges to see social impact.
- Other research outputs
- Bilic S, Blomberg I, Burry K, Chong E, Yeung E and Ariyawardana A (in press) Oral-health-related quality of life of dental patients: a hospital based study in far north Queensland, Australia. Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry,
- Warnakulasuriya S and Ariyawardana A (2016) Malignant transformation of oral leukoplakia: a systematic review of observational studies. Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine, 45 (3). pp. 155-166
- Formosa J, Jenner R, Nguyen-Thi M, Stephens C, Wilson C and Ariyawardana A (2015) Awareness and knowledge of oral cancer and potentially malignant oral disorders among dental patients in Far North Queensland, Australia. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, 16 (10). pp. 4429-4434
- Ariyawardana A (2014) Traumatic oral mucosal lesions: a mini review and clinical update. Oral Health and Dental Management, 13 (2). pp. 254-259
- Pallegama R, Ariyawardana A, Ranasinghe A, Sitheeque M, Glaros A, Dissanayake W, Idirimanna K and Jayasinghe R (2014) The Sinhala version of the Pain Catastrophizing Scale: validation and establishment of the factor structure in pain patients and healthy adults. Pain Medicine, 15 (10). pp. 1734-1742
- Ariyawardana A and Johnson N (2013) Trends of lip, oral cavity and oropharyngeal cancers in Australia 1982–2008: overall good news but with rising rates in the oropharynx. BMC Cancer, 13. pp. 1-10
- Gupta B, Ariyawardana A and Johnson N (2013) Oral cancer in India continues in epidemic proportions: evidence base and policy initiatives. International Dental Journal, 63 (1). pp. 12-25
- Jensen S, Jarvis V, Zadik Y, Barasch A, Ariyawardana A, Hovan A, Yarom N, Lalla R, Bowen J and Elad S (2013) Systematic review of miscellaneous agents for the management of oral mucositis in cancer patients. Supportive Care in Cancer, 21 (11). pp. 3223-3232
- Yarom N, Ariyawardana A, Hovan A, Barasch A, Jarvis V, Jensen S, Zadik Y, Elad S, Bowen J and Lalla R (2013) Systematic review of natural agents for the management of oral mucositis in cancer patients. Supportive Care in Cancer, 21 (11). pp. 3209-3221
- Ariyawardana A, Pallegama R, Sitheeque M and Ranasinghe A (2012) Congenital double upper lip: review of literature and report of a case. Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry, 3 (2). pp. 98-102
- Ariyawardana A, Pallegama R, Sitheeque M and Ranasinghe A (2012) Use of single- and multi-drug regimens in the management of classic (idiopathic) trigeminal neuralgia: an 11-year experience at a single Sri Lankan institution. Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry, 3 (2). pp. 98-102
- Ariyawardana A and Warnakulasuriya S (2011) Declining oral cancer rates in Sri Lanka: are we winning the war after being at the top of the cancer league table? Oral Diseases, 17 (7). pp. 636-641
ResearchOnline@JCU stores 29+ research outputs authored by Dr Anura Ariyawardana from 2003 onwards.
Advisory Accreditation: I can be on your Advisory Panel as a Primary or Secondary Advisor.
These Higher Degree Research projects are either current or by students who have completed their studies within the past 5 years at JCU. Linked titles show theses available within ResearchOnline@JCU.
- The Effect of Substance P (SP) on Adhesion of Squamous Carcinoma Cells (SCC) to Vascular Endothelial Cells in Matastasis. (PhD , Secondary Advisor)
The map shows research collaborations by institution from the past 7 years.
Note: Map points are indicative of the countries or states that institutions are associated with.
- 5+ collaborations
- 4 collaborations
- 3 collaborations
- 2 collaborations
- 1 collaboration
- Indicates the Tropics (Torrid Zone)