- Research Disciplines
- Anthropology (1601)
- Socio-Economic Objectives
- Cultural Understanding (9599)
Laboratoire d'Anthropologie Sociale
Collège de France
52 rue du Cardinal Lemoine 75005 Paris, France
tel: 33 (0)1 44 27 17 57/ fax: 33 (0)1 44 27 17 66
Barbara Glowczewski has a professorial research tenure (DR1) at the CNRS (National Scientific Research Center), and coordinates at the Laboratoire d’Anthropologie Sociale the team Anthropology of perception. She teaches at the EHESS where she supervises PhD students. She has been working with Indigenous people in Australia since 1979 (specifically with the Warlpiri people from Lajamanu, NT, and Indigenous people of the Broome region, WA).
She has published several books in French (Du Rêve à La loi chez les Aborigènes, PUF 1991, Rêves en colère, Plon, Terre Humaine, 2004), many articles in French and English in scientific journals and in collective books and produced awarded multimedia work on art, ritual and Indigenous knowledge.
As an adjunct Professor with JCU since 2004, she has contributed several publications to the JCU records, including a book she published in France on Palm Island (Guerriers pour la Paix, Indigène editions, 2008) out of her research during her stay at JCU (from August 2004 till November 2005): the translation is available for upload on the JCU Library website: http://eprints.jcu.edu.au/7286/.
She was appointed in 2010 as a member of the International Advisory Board of the Cairns Institute.
Guest professor in Brazil for 6 months in 2013, she started a new research on Afro-Brazilian cults.
She is a member of several editorial committees : Australian Aboriginal Studies, Anthrovision, Deleuze Studies, Mondes contemporains, Multitudes, Vibrant ABA, Polish Ethnographic Museum Journal, and on the Board of the digital program (European funding) of the Archives Audiovisuelles de la Recherche.
These are the most recent publications associated with this author. To see a detailed profile of all publications stored at JCU, visit ResearchOnline@JCU. Hover over Altmetrics badges to see social impact.
- Other research outputs
- Lundberg A and Glowczewski B (2015) Behind the scenes: transversality of invisible lines and knowledges. Etropic: electronic journal of studies in the tropics, 14 (2). pp. 1-10
- Glowczewski B, Henry R and Otto T (2013) Relations and products: dilemmas of reciprocity in fieldwork. Asia Pacific Journal of Anthropology, 14 (2). pp. 113-125
- Glowczewski B (2012) From academic heritage to Aboriginal priorities: anthropological responsibilities. Revista de Antropologia da UFSCar, 4 (2). pp. 6-19
- Glowczewski B and Henry R (2007) Dancing with the flow: political undercurrents at the 9th Festival of Pacific Arts. Journal de la Socit Ocanistes, 125 (2). pp. 213-219
- Glowczewski B (2005) Lines and criss-crossings: hyperlinks in Australian indigenous narratives. Media International Australia, 116. pp. 24-35
- Glowczewski B (2008) Warriors for Peace: the political condition of the Aboriginal people as viewed from Palm Island. Indigene Editions, Montpellier, France
- Glowczewski B and de Largy Healy J (2005) Piste de Rêves: voyage en terres Aborigènes. Éditions de Chêne, Paris, France
- Glowczewski B (2013) 'We have a Dreaming': how to translate totemic existential territories through digital tools. In: Information Technology and Indigenous Communities. Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Canberra, ACT, Australia, pp. 105-125
- Glowczewski B (2008) Restitution de données anthropologiques en multimédia: défis pratiques, éthiques et scientifiques. In: La mise a l'epreuve: le transfert des connaissances scientifiques en questions. Editions Quae, Versailles, France, pp. 69-85
- Glowczewski B and Henry R (2007) Dancing with the current: ebb and flow at the 9th Festival of Pacific Arts, Palau 2004. In: Le Dfi Indigne : entre spectacle et politique. Aux Lieux d'Etre, Paris, France, pp. 201-220
- Glowczewski B (2007) Between spectacle and politics: indigenous singularities. In: Le Dfi Indigne: entre spectacle et politique. Aux Lieux d'Etre, Paris, France, pp. 11-35
- Glowczewski B (2005) In Australia, it's 'Aboriginal' with a capital 'A': Aboriginality, politics and identity. In: The changing South Pacific: identities and transformations. Pandanus Books, Canberra, ACT, Australia, pp. 133-157
ResearchOnline@JCU stores 22+ research outputs authored by Prof Barbara Glowczewski from 2001 onwards.
These Higher Degree Research projects are either current or by students who have completed their studies within the past 5 years at JCU. Linked titles show theses available within ResearchOnline@JCU.
- Time, Place, Memory and Identity in the literature of Australian South Sea Islanders. (PhD , Primary Advisor)
- Image-ining Modernity: A Comparative Collaborative Ethnography of Future-Making Through Experimental Video Arts in Australia and Benin. (PhD , Associate Advisor)
- Il y a beaucoup d'histoire ici: histoire, mémoire et subjectivité chez les habitants aborigènes de Palm Island (Australie) (2012, PhD , Associate Advisor)
Connect with me