Theme leader - Professor Peter Ridd
One of the primary focuses of the Oceanography Group is the effect of sediment and nutrients on coral reefs in both natural conditions and also when dredging is occurring. To support this work the group develops new instrumentation (i.e., current meters, satellite tracked drifters, and sediment deposition sensors). Peter also runs the Marine Geophysics Laboratory at James Cook University.
- Coastal oceanography
- Measurements of turbidity, light, waves, sediment deposition, currents
- Telemetry of oceanographic instruments
- Dredge monitoring projects
- Instrumentation development
- Geophysical resistivity surveys