Dr Michael Rasheed
Principal Research Scientist
Seagrass Ecology Group
Ph: +61 7 4232 2010
Mike has been conducting research on tropical marine habitats focusing on seagrass ecology for over 20 years. He has a BSC in Zoology & Ecology and an Honours degree from Flinders University and was awarded a PhD from JCU for research investigating recovery and succession in tropical seagrass communities. Mike is passionate about finding science based solutions to apply in the management of marine habitats. He has built a team whose work focuses on coastal development and risk and has significantly impacted on the way seagrass and fish habitats are managed and protected. Results of his work not only lead to advances in the field of seagrass ecology, but have changed practices within coastal development, ports and shipping industries and improved the ability of regulators and managers to protect marine habitats.
- Investigations of Dugong feeding activity on seagrass meadows
- Novel oxygen sensing tools for monitoring the effects of dredging on Australian seagrass communities (ARC-Linkage)
- Seagrass assessment & monitoring in Queensland Ports– industry partnerships in high risk areas (various Port Authorities)
- Establishing the drivers of tropical seagrass change
- Developing ecologically based triggers for the management of tropical seagrass communities
- Dynamics of deepwater Seagrass Communities (BMA/GBRMPA)
- Developing sub-lethal tools for assessing seagrass stress
- The effects of climate on tropical seagrass communities
- Developing spatial tools to manage sensitive habitats at high risk from shipping in GBR and Torres Strait Shipping Lanes (MSQ/AMSA)
- Community partnerships for seagrass research in the Torres Strait (TSRA)
Recent Journal Articles & Book Chapters
- Chartrand KM, Bryant CV, Carter AB, Ralph PJ and Rasheed MA (2016) Light Thresholds to Prevent Dredging Impacts on the Great Barrier Reef Seagrass, Zostera muelleri ssp. capricorni. Frontiers in Marine Science 3:106.
- Baird ME, Adams MP, Babcock RC, Oubelkheir K, Mongin M, Wild-Allen KA, Skerratt J, Robson BJ, Petrou K, Ralph PJ, O’Brien KR, Carter A, Jarvis JC and Rasheed MA (2016) A biophysical representation of seagrass growth for application in a complex shallow-water biogeochemical model. Ecological Modelling, 325. pp. 13-27
- York PH, Carter A, Chartrand KM, Sankey TL, Wells L and Rasheed MA (2015) Dynamics of a deep-water seagrass population on the Great Barrier Reef: annual occurrence and response to a major dredging program. Scientific Reports, 5. pp. 1-9.
- Schliep M, Pernice M, Sinutok S, Bryant CV, York PH, Rasheed MA and Ralph PJ (2015) Evaluation of reference genes for RT-QPCR studies in the seagrass Zostera muelleri exposed to light limitation. Scientific Reports, 5. pp. 1-11
- Ricart AM, York PH, Rasheed MA, Pérez M, Romero J, Bryant CV and Macreadie PI (2015) Variability of sedimentary organic carbon in patchy seagrass landscapes. Marine Pollution Bulletin 100, 476-482.
- Coles, R., Rasheed, M.A., McKenzie,L., Grech, A., York, P., Shaeves, M., McKenna, S., Bryant, C. (2015). The Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area seagrasses: Managing this iconic Australian ecosystem resource for the future. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 153, A1-A12.
- McKenna, S., Jarvis, J., Sankey, T., Reason, C., Coles, R. Rasheed, M.A. (2015). Declines of seagrass in a tropical harbour, North Queensland, Australia, are not the result of a single event. Journal of Bioscience 40, 389-398.
- Petus, C., Collier, C., Devlin, M., Rasheed, M., McKenna, S. (2014) Using MODIS data for understanding changes in seagrass meadow health: A case study in the Great Barrier Reef (Australia), Marine Environmental Research 98, 68-85.
- Rasheed, M.A., McKenna, S.A., Carter, A.B., Coles, R.G. (2014). Contrasting recovery of shallow and deep water seagrass communities following climate associated losses in tropical north Queensland, Australia. Marine Pollution Bulletin 83, 491-499
- Macreadie, P.I., Schliep, M.T., Rasheed, M.A., Chartrand, K.M., Ralph, P.J. (2014). Molecular indicators of chronic seagrass stress: A new era in the management of seagrass ecosystems? Ecological Indicators 38, 279-81.
- Grech, A., Bos, M., Brodie, J., Coles, R., Dale, A., Gilbert, R., Hamann, M., Marsh, H., Neil, K., Pressy,R.L., Rasheed, M.A., Sheaves, M., Smith, A.(2013).Guiding principles for the improved governance of port and shipping impacts in the Great Barrier Reef. Marine Pollution Bulletin 75, 8-20.
- Petrou K, Jimenez-Denness I, Chartrand KM, McCormack C, Rasheed M.A., Ralph PJ. (2013). Seasonal heterogeneity in the impact of air-exposure on the photophysiology of two tropical intertidal seagrass species (Zostera muelleri and Halophila ovalis). Marine Ecology Progress Series Vol. 482 93-106.
- Unsworth, K.F, Rasheed, M.A., Chartrand, K.M. and Roelofs, A.J. (2012) Solar radiation and tidal exposure as environmental drivers of Enhalus acoroides dominated seagrass meadows. PLoS ONE 7(3): e34133. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0034133.
- Grech, A., Chartrand-Miller, K., Erftemeijer, P., Fonseca, M., McKenzie, L., Rasheed, M.A., Taylor, H. and Coles, R. (2012). A comparison of threats, vulnerabilities and management approaches in global seagrass bioregions. Environmental Research Letters 7(2): 024006 (8pp) doi:10.1088/1748-9326/7/2/024006
- Rasheed, M.A. and Unsworth, R.K.F. (2011) Long-term climate-associated dynamics of a tropical seagrass meadow: implications for the future. Marine Ecology Progress Series Vol. 422 93-103.
- Taylor, H.A. and Rasheed, M.A. (2011). Impacts of a fuel oil spill on seagrass meadows in a subtropical port, Gladstone, Australia – The value of long-term marine habitat monitoring in high risk areas. Marine Pollution Bulletin 63: 431-437
- Coles RG, Grech A, Rasheed, MA, McKenzie LJ, Unsworth RKF, Short F (2010) Seagrass ecology and threats in the tropical Indo-Pacific bioregion Chapter 9 In: Pirog RS (ed) 2010) Seagrass: Ecology, Uses and Threats Editors. 2010 Nova Science Publishers, Inc ISBN: 978-1-61761-987-8.
- Rasheed, M.A., Dew, K.R., McKenzie, L.J., Coles, R.G., Kerville, S.P. and Campbell, S.J. (2008) Productivity, carbon assimilation and intra-annual change in tropical reef platform seagrass communities of the Torres Strait, north-eastern Australia. Continental Shelf Research Vol 28, 2292-2304.
- Rasheed, M.A. (2004). Recovery and succession in a multi-species tropical seagrass meadow following experimental disturbance: the role of sexual and asexual reproduction. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. 310:13-45
- Rasheed, M.A. (1999). Recovery of experimentally created gaps within a tropical Zostera capricorni (Aschers.) seagrass meadow, Queensland Australia. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 235 (2) 183-200.
Recent Published Conference Proceedings
- Taylor, H.A., Rasheed, M.A. (2012). Torres Strait Seagrass Productivity, Climate Change Resilience and Recovery Capacity. Proceedings of the 12th International Coral Reef Symposium, Cairns, Australia, 9-13 July 2012, 15B Seagrasses and seagrass ecosystems
- Chartrand KM, Rasheed M.A., Petrou K, Ralph PJ. (2012) Establishing tropical seagrass light requirements in a dynamic port environment. Proceedings of the 12th International Coral Reef Symposium, Cairns, Australia, 9-13 July 2012, 15B Seagrasses and seagrass ecosystems
- Coles, R. Grech, A., Rasheed, M.A., McKenzie, L. (2012). Evaluating risk to seagrasses in the Tropical Indo-Pacific Region. Proceedings of the 12th International Coral Reef Symposium, Cairns, Australia, 9-13 July 2012, 15B Seagrasses and seagrass ecosystems
Baird ME, Adams MP, Babcock RC, Oubelkheir K, Mongin M, Wild-Allen KA, Skerratt J, Robson BJ, Petrou K, Ralph PJ, O’Brien KR, Carter A, Jarvis JC and Rasheed MA (2016) A biophysical representation of seagrass growth for application in a complex shallow-water biogeochemical model. Ecological Modelling, 325. pp. 13-27