- Community mental health, culture and mental illness, sexual health, and sexuality and disability. The methodological approaches used include questionnaire surveys, ethnography, and narrative inquiry.
- Research Disciplines
Prof Matthew Yau has extensive clinical experience in psychiatry and mental health, particularly in the areas of long-term mental illness, stress management and autism. His doctoral study was on the topic of mental illness and Chinese families in Hong Kong at the time of transition of sovereignty. He also received training in clinical hypnotherapy and sex therapy.
Matthew is lecturing on occupational therapy theories, community mental health, sexuality and disability, sexual health, communication and counselling, and qualitative research methods across the undergraduate and graduate programs.
- 2005 - Best Teaching Award, Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- 2004 - Certified Sexuality Professional Training Supervisor, American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors & Therapists
- 2001 - Certified Sex Therapist, American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors & Therapists
- 2005 - Founding Chair, Hong Kong Association of Sexuality Educators, Researchers & Therapists
These are the most recent publications associated with this author. To see a detailed profile of all publications stored at JCU, visit ResearchOnline@JCU. Hover over Altmetrics badges to see social impact.
- Journal Articles
- Che Daud A, Yau M, Barnett F, Judd J, Jones R and Nawawi R (2016) Integration of occupation based intervention in hand injury rehabilitation: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Hand Therapy, 29 (1). pp. 30-40
- Che Daud A, Yau M, Barnett F and Judd J (2016) Occupation based intervention in hand injury rehabilitation: experiences of occupational therapists in Malaysia. Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 23 (1). pp. 57-66
- Che Daud A, Judd J, Yau M and Barnett F (2016) Issues in applying occupation based intervention in clinical practice: a Delphi study . Procedia: Social and Behavioral Sciences, 222. pp. 272-282
- Eagers J, Franklin R, Broome K and Yau M (2016) A review of occupational therapy's contribution to and involvement in the work-to-retirement transition process: an Australian perspective. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 63 (4). pp. 277-292
- Che Daud A, Yau M and Barnett F (2015) A consensus definition of occupation-based intervention from a Malaysian perspective: a Delphi study. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 78 (11). pp. 697-705
- Barnett F, Yau M and Gray M (2014) The efficacy of a group-based exercise and sexuality education program for Prostate Cancer Survivors. Rehabilitation Oncology, 32 (4). pp. 45-51
- Law L, Barnett F, Yau M and Gray M (2014) Effects of combined cognitive and exercise interventions on cognition in older adults with and without cognitive impairment: a systematic review. Ageing Research Reviews, 15. pp. 61-75
- Law L, Barnett F, Yau M and Gray M (2014) Effects of functional tasks exercise on older adults with cognitive impairment at risk of Alzheimer's disease: a randomised controlled trial. Age and Ageing, 43 (6). pp. 813-820
- Law L, Barnett F, Gray M, Yau M and Siu A (2014) Translation and validation of Chinese version of Problems in Everyday Living (PEDL) test in patients with mild cognitive impairment. International Psychogeriatrics, 26 (2). pp. 273-284
- Beckwith A and Yau M (2013) Sexual recovery: experiences of women with spinal injury reconstructing a positive sexual identity. Sexuality and Disability, 31 (4). pp. 313-324
- Law L, Barnett F, Yau M and Gray M (2013) Development and initial testing of functional task exercise on older adults with cognitive impairment at risk of Alzheimer's disease - FcTSim programme: a feasibility study. Occupational Therapy International, 20 (4). pp. 185-197
- Law L, Barnett F, Yau M and Gray M (2012) Measures of everyday competence in older adults with cognitive impairment: a systematic review. Age and Ageing, 41 (1). pp. 9-16
ResearchOnline@JCU stores 22+ research outputs authored by Prof Matthew Yau from 2009 onwards.
Advisory Accreditation: I can be on your Advisory Panel as a Primary or Secondary Advisor.
These Higher Degree Research projects are either current or by students who have completed their studies within the past 5 years at JCU. Linked titles show theses available within ResearchOnline@JCU.
- An Exploration of Dying Roles Within a Contemporary Regional Australian Context. (PhD, Secondary Advisor)
- Promoting health and well-being during the work-to-retirement transition process: An occupational perspective (PhD, Secondary Advisor)
- A Qualitative Study on the Factors Influencing Pre-retirement Planning of Hong Kong People and the Role of Occupational Therapist in Pre-retirement Planning and Intervention (PhD, Secondary Advisor)
- Functional tasks exercise for older adults with cognitive impairment at risk of Alzheimer's disease (2013, PhD, Secondary Advisor)
- Occupational therapy and/or physiotherapy services following a traumatic hand injury for people who live in rural and remote locations (2014, PhD, Secondary Advisor)
- Occupation based intervention in hand injury rehabilitation: a Malaysian perspective (2015, PhD, Primary Advisor)
- An occupational perspective of wellbeing: a case study of homelessness in Townsville (2012, PhD, Secondary Advisor)
- Sexuality: a matter of life and death: successful sexual rehabilitation of men with spinal cord injury in Nepal (2016, Masters, Secondary Advisor)
The map shows research collaborations by institution from the past 7 years.
Note: Map points are indicative of the countries or states that institutions are associated with.
- 5+ collaborations
- 4 collaborations
- 3 collaborations
- 2 collaborations
- 1 collaboration
- Indicates the Tropics (Torrid Zone)