- Research Disciplines
My primary area of research is the application of geospatial technologies (e.g., Geographic Information Systems and remote sensing) to the study of Earth’s environment and natural processes. I am particularly interested in coral reef processes and geomorphology.
I first developed an interest in coral reef geomorphology (how reef features form and evolve) during my undergraduate degree at James Cook University where my honours research examined the impacts of harbour infrastructure on reef islands. I later completed a Masters in Geospatial Technologies in Europe with a particular focus on spatial data interoperability. After a few years working as a spatial analyst in the environmental consultancy industry I decided to return to coral reef research and completed a PhD at The University of Sydney. I enjoy multidisciplinary research and the opportunity to combine field work with a variety of geospatial technologies to better understand the world and our part in it.
These are the most recent publications associated with this author. To see a detailed profile of all publications stored at JCU, visit ResearchOnline@JCU.
- Other research outputs
- Dechnik B, Webster J, Webb G, Nothdurft L, Dutton A, Braga J, Zhao J, Duce S and Sadler J (2017) The evolution of the Great Barrier Reef during the Last Interglacial Period. Global and Planetary Change, 149. pp. 53-71
- Bryson M, Duce S, Harris D, Webster J, Thompson A, Vila-Concejo A and Williams S (2016) Geomorphic changes of a coral shingle cay measured using Kite Aerial Photography. Geomorphology, 270. pp. 1-8
- Dechnik B, Webster J, Nothdurft L, Webb G, Zhao J, Duce S, Braga J, Harris D, Vila-Concejo A and Puotinen M (2016) Influence of hydrodynamic energy on Holocene reef flat accretion, Great Barrier Reef. Quaternary Research, 85. pp. 44-53
- Duce S, Vila-Concejo A, Hamylton S, Webster J, Bruce E and Beaman R (2016) A morphometric assessment and classification of coral reef spur and groove morphology. Geomorphology, 265. pp. 68-83
- Hamylton S, Carvalho R, Duce S, Roelfsema C and Vila-Concejo A (2016) Linking pattern to process in reef sediment dynamics at Lady Musgrave Island, southern Great Barrier Reef. Sedimentology, 63 (6). pp. 1634-1650
- Biggs E, Bruce E, Boruff B, Duncan J, Horsley J, Pauli N, McNeill K, Neef A, Van Ogtrop F, Curnow J, Haworth B, Duce S and Imanari Y (2015) Sustainable development and the water-energy-food nexus: a perspective on livelihoods. Environmental Science & Policy, 54. pp. 389-397
- Duce S, Vila-Concejo A, Hamylton S, Bruce E and Webster J (2014) Spur and groove distribution, morphology and relationship to relative wave exposure, Southern Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Journal of Coastal Research, 70. pp. 115-120
- Duce S, Parnell K, Smithers S and McNamara K (2010) A Synthesis of Climate Change and Coastal Science to Support Adaptation in the Communities of Torres Strait. [monograph]
The map shows research collaborations by institution from the past 7 years.
Note: Map points are indicative of the countries or states that institutions are associated with.
- 5+ collaborations
- 4 collaborations
- 3 collaborations
- 2 collaborations
- 1 collaboration
- Indicates the Tropics (Torrid Zone)